Family & Children's Law Center

Other Services

Other services.

Name Change

If you wish to change your name, we can assist you with the legal paperwork necessary to do so.  FACLC also assists in changing your name, your gender, or both.   You do not need a court ordered gender change to change your California driver's license, social security card, or U.S. passport. You also no longer need a court order to have a new birth certificate issued reflecting a change of gender (for California birth records). You may want to get a court ordered gender change to amend your birth certificate if you were born outside of California. You DO need a court order for a change of name. If you need to change your name AND gender, FACLC can help you do so.


Emancipation is a legal way for children to become adults before they're 18. FACLC will consult with teens interested in emancipating, and will prepare the paperwork to assist in obtaining emancipation.

Once a child is emancipated, his or her parents don't have custody or control anymore. An emancipated child can do some things without a parent's permission, such as:
    - Get medical care
    - Apply for a work permit
    - Sign up for school or college
   -  Choose a place to live
An emancipated child gives up the right to parental support, must attend school, can't get married without parental permission, and will be tried in juvenile court for breaking the law.